Nelson Mandela has been discharged from hospital, the South African presidency says, hours after dismissing reports that say the anti-apartheid hero has been released following more than two months admission at the hospital.
“Madiba’s condition remains critical and is at times unstable,” the presidency said in a statement, referring to the 95-year-old statesman by his clan name.
Mandela returned to his home in Houghton, Johannesburg, on Sunday morning. His release from hospital initially caused confusion, as it was at first denied by officials.
The latest statement says that “his team of doctors are convinced that he will receive the same level of intensive care at his Houghton home that he received in Pretoria”.
“His home has been reconfigured to allow him to receive intensive care there.”
Mandela had been in the Mediclinic Heart Hospital in Pretoria since June 8 for a recurring lung infection.